Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
General Information

SB1 Visas: Returning Residents

A Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) whose status has lapsed due to a failure to maintain a residence in the United States may in certain circumstances be granted an SB1 visa allowing readmission.

To apply for an SB1 visa, please read the instruction(PDF #K) and come to the Consulate with the following documents:

  • Form DS-117(PDF #K): Application to Determine Returning Resident Status
  • Original passport, green card, re-entry permit and/or other valid identification documents.
  • A statement in English and Chinese, explaining the reason for your overstay.
  • Any evidence you have that demonstrates the reason for your overstay. Translate all material into English.

Click here for more SB1 visa information.

Adobe Reader

  • Adobe Reader Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.